Monday, June 30, 2008

Long Overdue...

So, maybe the stew was a mistake because now I've made stew four times (including tonight, and each batch lasts about 3 days - eating it at every meal!) and I feel like I may just start dreaming about stew. But really, what can ya do when all you know how to cook is stew and grilled cheese sandwiches? Seriously, the lack of macarroni & cheese in a box took away one of my staples... Though I did find teriyaki sauce in the store tonight so I am back in the game with my teriyaki chicken & couscous dinners. :o)
When things happen over here it seems that they all decide to happen in the same week! This week our sweet open heart surgery baby from a couple months ago was back in the hospital on life support again. And again, against all odds, he pulled through and will be just fine! (Though I could definately do without standing next to the bed of a baby while they start crashing in the future!) His lung collapsed last week and in the process of trying to fix that the doctors discovered that his trachea had been almost entirely blocked by scar tissue from the ventilator he had during the last surgery. SUCH a good thing that his lung collapsed or we may never have known that he could hardly breathe! He's such a happy baby, he never complains, even when he's on the verge of suffocation, which is a little frightening for those of us who try our best to monitor him... But before this whole issue with his airway, he was doing beautifully! He was off of oxygen, except at night and had learned to sit up for the first time in his life....
So now we're back to square one with him (minus the scar tissue which was surgically removed), but a good square one because he will be able to breathe this time and his heart is still doing wonderfully!
And in the midst of wanting to be with him at the hospital every day (which I have managed to do, thankfully) I've had a team of Americans to host. It never seems to be just one hat or the other... always wearing a few at once!
Okay... sorry to be so brief! I need to head to bed! But I have promised Sarah that I will write "A Day in the Life of Kelli" this week... so there is something to look forward to! :o)

No comments: