Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Best of Intentions

(Photo: waterfalls at the botanical gardens - reminds me of where we used to hike in Utah!)





Once again, I know it's been WAY too long since I've posted an update on life in South Africa. Over the past weeks I've thought to myself over and over, that's something I should write about... And yet never have quite found (or made) the time to actually put it on the blog. From meeting a Zulu prince to attending this really cool outdoor jazz concert in beautiful botanical gardens, to hosting two sets of guests in South Africa, to opening and taking on the management of another home (bringing my region up to 6 homes)... it's been a pretty full 6 weeks since my last post. Oh, and I joined a gym on Friday night (which, for those of you who know me well should be a good indication of what the stress level has been because I have even liked it so far!)


In the midst of so much craziness, God has surrounded me with some pretty amazing people, which has been a saving grace in the past couple of weeks. So good to have those people with whom you can just relax and chat and do nothing...and have it be wonderful! After a particularly trying week earlier this month, Beth and I spent the day at a South African Spa... it was amazing to say the least. That is something I may have to budget for once every few months, though by the end of the day it was kinda like, "If one more person rubs my back...!" So for the price of what would get you a one hour massage in the States... we had a day of no cell phones or Blackberries, and it was perfect!


Last week my pastor's wife and daughter from the States came for a visit. It was such a gift to have friends from home! We made the rounds of Safari, Soweto, and introductions to our miracle kids. The photo on the right is one that I took at Regina Mundi Catholic Church in Soweto. Is is my favorite place to visit, so peaceful and so full of God. It was the stage for a number of the events that eventually lead to the end of apartheid in South Africa. Parents and students alike used to gather in this church to listen to speakers like Desmond Tutu during the 1970's and early 80's. On June 16th, 1976, when the first Soweto uprising happened, the police stormed the church and started shooting inside - resulting in the deaths of many children. The ceiling still contains bullet holes and the alter is cracked from the butt of a police rifle. I loved that the banners this week read "Be Not Afraid"...


This weekend, Beth and I have turned our monthly "America Night" party (have I mentioned those? Not sure...) into an American-style Halloween Party with pumpkin carving and "fall" foods - corn bread, my stew etc. :o) So, even though it is summer here, we're going to pretend it's harvest time!


This weekend I think I may also finally muster up the courage to visit Sabana's grave. His family chose to bury him in a rural cemetery, and from what I hear it's a beautiful spot with his name carved into a simple cross. I think it may break me, but I also think it's probably about time. Angie (formerly our Operational Director, now a friend!) and I were talking last week about how it is hard to find space to mourn so much of what we see in working with our kids in a country that holds so much. There is always another child and another need, so it is very easy to avoid processing the losses if we choose to.



On a far different note, the nerd in me is a little sad that I won't be in the States for election day. It's just not the same to fill in a piece of paper and send it through a fax machine! I've been sleeping in my Obama shirts as a sign of support from a world away! haha



Okay... off to get ready for bed now. Morning will arrive all too quickly!

No comments: