Tuesday, February 12, 2008

African Rain

I am nearing the end of my first full day in South Africa. It has been so wonderful to be here already. I am living in a house with six little girls, the oldest being only 4. Their house mom is a hero! Only 10 minutes ago I was upstairs with them for their "quiet time" before bed. It was amazing to see chilren so small gather on the floor in front of their mom, and sit quietly as she read to them from Genesis (a children's version!). She then asked who was going to join the choir and four tiny hands shot up. The four girls then lined up and a fifth (only one year old) joined them because they were "missing their alto". :o) They sang "Jesus Loves Me" - though I must admit that the one year old didn't hold up the alto section very well! As soon as the song was finished all 6 kneeled in a circle to pray. The four year old and three year old volunteered to lead and immediately began talking to God over one another (I'm pretty sure I heard the lyrics to "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" in there somewhere.)

As I drove home tonight after a wonderful day of visiting with children and staff and watching a thunder and lightning summer rain storm out the window of my new office, the most beautiful rainbow arched across the sky.

It was a pretty perfect day. :o) Hope all is well with you!

1 comment:

Sarah Kennedy said...

SO fun to hear you made it safely, and it sounds like you had a pretty perfect first full day! Keep updating and I'll keep reading! :)