Friday, February 15, 2008

A Week of Firsts...

This week has been filled with so many new experiences, and today contained one more that I will never forget. We had been anticipating the arrival of a 9 month old baby girl whose young mother had become too sick (with AIDS) to care for her. I ended up being there when the mother brought her daughter to us, and was elected to be the one to bring the baby to its new home and introduce her to her new houseparents and brothers and sisters.
The mother arrived, looking not much older than a child herself, and as she watched the social workers exchange documents and exclaim over how beautiful her daughter was, her face seemed to hold an expression of absolute devastation. I cannot even imagine handing my baby over to strangers, knowing that they would get to witness all of the events of her childhood that I wouldn't live to see. I am so thankful that this mom chose to give her child, who is also infected, the best possible chance at a wonderful life.
As I drove with the baby in my back seat, I prayed aloud for her and her mother. For their lives and their futures. When we arrived at her new home she had fallen asleep in the car (I'd like to think of this as a compliment to my slowly improving South African driving skills, but it probably isn't!). As I took her out of the car she woke up and as her new mom excitedly took her from me a tiny smile passed her lips.
I instructed the houseparents on the 5 different types of medication to be given to this little one each day, and watched as all of the other children excitedly touched her tiny hands and cheeks. While I sat with her on my lap, the three year old girl, who until now had been the baby of the house (we had been a little nervous about how she would respond to being de-throned) climbed up onto the couch next to me and tried to pull the baby onto her lap. As I rested her on her new big sister's legs, she was given a big preschooler-size kiss to the cheek and I knew that they would be just fine. :o)

... It is funny the things that nearly bring me to tears here. Tonight, as I watched one of our older girls play a kids soccer game at church, with all of the other children chanting her name over and over when her turn to play came, she scored and jumped in victory all the way back to the huddle of children who were united against the team of parents. The other children circled around her and cheered. I was so excited to see her so celebrated, knowing that she was the reason that we also have to watch the painful moments of a mother walking away from her infant... the chance for something more, something wonderful, and a chance to know that their lives are worth celebrating.

What a day!

2 comments:

Chels said...

Hiya Bestie. Just wanted to tell you that I miss you so much! I keep wanting to call you. I just read your blog. I can't believe what you are seeing and doing over there. You are truly amazing. And, for the record, you're kind of making the rest of us look bad! I mean, sheesh, my most pressing goal these days is trying to figure out a way to keep my 'specials' from rolling around on the rainbow carpet whilest I'm teaching. And, yes, I do know that whilest is not quite a word (but it is a word that I rather enjoy, such as the word 'nonetheless'). Oh, and I do want to inform you that I was extremely elated to find my new favorite bible verse today. I'm not actually going to type it out because the people who happen to read this blog will think I am mentally ill. Look up Leviticus 1:14-17. You'll understand. Anyways, I should probably go now because I don't think that the comments are supposed to be longer than the actual blog. I'm a blogger virgin so please have patience. Love you mucho!!! Love, C

Kim Campbell said...

Love this one. It's perfect and so much how life is, huh? Tragedy and devastation and our wondering where God is, and then we see Him so clearly in the cheering at a soccer game. Awesome! Press on sister, you are a beautiful soul and those children are so lucky to have you at their side. God is using you for such great things. Keep writing, it's an inspiration.
Much love, Kim
P.S. Gonna forward your blog onto the rest of my "Mommies in America." I know they will be blessed by your writing.